Enfin! We have finally managed to get back on the tools and do some work on the house. It has been a slow start this year, as apart from wiring in a light in the cellar (useful for choosing the right bottle of wine!) we have done nothing since the Canadians left us in November!
However, on Wednesday, we laid the screed over the underfloor heating on our bedroom and bathroom floors. It is not a hugely complicated job, well not compared to plastering. But it is very labour intensive as it has to be done by hand and we, of course, have a large surface area to cover. Pierre came by early in the morning to give us a crash course and Mark came for a day and a half to help us with the mixing so that Chris and I could concentrate on getting the perfect finish.
If you are doing it properly you would mix by hand, but we have far too much floor to do that. We would still be doing it a week later if we were mixing by hand! Besides Pierre agreed that the mixer did a good job, so that was OK for us. The key points when laying a screed is firstly get the consistency right, much dryer than cement, then you need to get the levels exact. This is the complicated part and involved rulers and levels and so on.
So day one we managed to do the cupboard and our bedroom and then day two left just the bathroom, which seemed relatively easy by then. It now takes 3 days before it is dry enough to walk on and between 3 and 4 weeks before it is properly dry. my arms and back are aching but it feels good to have done some physical work again and it is another step in the direction of having our own bedroom again!!